The Stray: A True Story is a family-friendly, Dave Approved for All Ages movie showing in select theaters now. See the trailer and enter to win a family pack of 4 movie tickets. Enjoy the show!Read More
I love documentaries! I watch a lot of them. I can unabashedly say that Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus is at the top of my favorite documentaries list ever. It is powerful... a filmmakers genuine and honest journey to investigate the controversy surrounding the biblical exodus. His findings are balanced and fair.
This film was so engrossing that while my husband and I were watching it, my kids (ages 8, 10, and 18) started peeking their heads in to see what we were watching. It wasn't long at all before they joined us, and they really added to the experience as they asked really good questions throughout (mark one homeschool lesson finished). As we watched my husband and I kept looking at each other and found ourselves saying things like WOW! I had no idea! That's incredible! Are you kidding me!?!
Here are a couple of my thoughts as to what makes a documentary great?
- The topic is one that is worthwhile of deep investigation (a question or controversy that is engaging).
- The film's journey is undertaken by an investigative journalist with integrity.
- The documentary takes me somewhere that I cannot go on my own.
- The documentary opens up a subject matter that I may know nothing about and leaves me informed.
- The documentary goes deep. It takes the needed time to fully investigate the story (in this case, 12-years).
- The filmmaking, editing, narrating, etc. should be excellent. Clean, sharp, pleasing to the eyes and ears.
- Most importantly... it should keep you ruminating over it long after it is over. (My husband and I have had so many discussions about this film since we finished it.)
On every point Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus knocks it out of the park - hits the nail on the head - pick your favorite idiom. Watch the short trailer below and then scroll down to enter my giveaway for one copy of the DVD. If you don't win the giveaway... don't worry... I also have a discount code for you .Read More